sync_master dying

Roland Pope rpope at jadeworld.com
Tue May 2 17:09:00 EDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Simon Matter" <simon.matter at ch.sauter-bc.com>
>> I have had a couple of situations today where sync_master has terminated
>> abnormally, and I am trying to figure out where to look for the problem.
>> I am running Cyrus-IMAPd 2.3.3 under CentOS 3.6.
>>
>> The first of the log entries for the two terminations show:
>>
>> <snip>
>> master[6348]: process 22661 exited, signaled to death by 6
>> </snip>
>> Which according to 'man 7 signal' says that a signal 6 is a SIGABRT. Any
> >ideas what would have caused this?
>>
> >The second error is curious too.
> ><snip>
> >syncserver[23808]: IOERROR: creating quota file
> >/rep1/imap-backup/var/lib/imap/quota/c/user.changed.NEW: Too many open
> >files

>What about the per user limit? What does ulimit -a tell you for the cyrus
>user?
>
>Simon
OK, the per user limit is 1024 which is probably causing the problem, but I
thought Cyrus-IMAPd had some way of taking the limit off and using the
system maximum when it started? Or was this in a previous version of the
init script?
Anyway, I have increased the global user nofile values in
/etc/security/limits.conf.

>> syncserver[23808]: DBERROR: error storing user.changed: cyrusdb error
>> master[6348]: process 23808 exited, signaled to death by 11
> ></snip>
>>
>> The odd thing about the second "Two many open files" error is that a cat
>> of
>> /proc/sys/fs/file-nr shows:
>> 2175    520     235928
>>
>> Which suggests that 2175 is the maximum number of open files the
>> machine's
> >had, which  is miles away from the file max of  235928?

 Thanks
 Roland