prepare large site migration

Michael Menge michael.menge at zdv.uni-tuebingen.de
Tue May 2 05:17:54 EDT 2006

Quoting Kjetil Torgrim Homme <kjetilho at ifi.uio.no>:

> On Sun, 2006-04-30 at 21:42 +0200, Andrzej Kwiatkowski wrote:
>> I'm preparing for migrating about 30k account from
>> Netscape Messaging Server to Cyrus (yeah... cyrus rules, NMS sucks ;-) )
>>
>> And now i want to find out the best solutions for this.
>> NMS has very similar structure of mailboxes
>>
>> 1. Imap Copy
>> 2. Tar ; untar mailbox and reconstruct,
>> 3. Get mails from old mailbox and send directly to deliver process
>> or to lmtpd.
>>
>> What is the best idea and the fastest.
>> There are about 50Gigs of data.
>
> only IMAP copy (I use imapsync) will preserve flags, and users will be
> miffed if they lose \Seen, I'm sure.
>
> the downside is that you'll be lucky to transfer more than 1 MB/second,
> so it'll take a day!  of course imapsync will move one account at a
> time, but you'll have to route individual users to the correct server
> during the transition if you don't shut it all down.  perhaps use
> Perdition temporarily?

You may also want have a look at mailutil form the UW-Imapd it usese
also IMAP copy, perserve the flags and is faster then imapsync but has
less options to rename subfolders

M.Menge                                 Tel.: (49) 7071/29-70316
Universitaet Tuebingen                  Fax.: (49) 7071/29-5912
Zentrum fuer Datenverarbeitung          mail: menge at zdv.uni-tuebingen.de
Waechterstrasse 76
72074 Tuebingen