sync_master dying

Roland Pope rpope at jadeworld.com
Tue May 2 00:56:01 EDT 2006

Hi All,

I have had a couple of situations today where sync_master has terminated
abnormally, and I am trying to figure out where to look for the problem.
I am running Cyrus-IMAPd 2.3.3 under CentOS 3.6.

The first of the log entries for the two terminations show:

<snip>
master[6348]: process 22661 exited, signaled to death by 6
</snip>
Which according to 'man 7 signal' says that a signal 6 is a SIGABRT. Any
ideas what would have caused this?

The second error is curious too.
<snip>
syncserver[23808]: IOERROR: creating quota file
/rep1/imap-backup/var/lib/imap/quota/c/user.changed.NEW: Too many open files
syncserver[23808]: DBERROR: error storing user.changed: cyrusdb error
master[6348]: process 23808 exited, signaled to death by 11
</snip>

The odd thing about the second "Two many open files" error is that a cat of
/proc/sys/fs/file-nr shows:
2175    520     235928

Which suggests that 2175 is the maximum number of open files the machine's
had, which  is miles away from the file max of  235928?

Anyone have some ideas about what might be going on here?

Thanks
Roland