Cyrus IMAP and Microsoft ADS (GSSAPI a.k.a. Kerberos 5)

Nikola Milutinovic alokin1 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 30 12:06:17 EST 2006

Hi all.

I am trying to setup Cyrus IMAP into a MS ADS environment.

IMAP Server
-----------
SuSE Linux 10.0
Cyrus IMAP v2.2.12-13
Cyrus SASL v2.1.21-3

IMAP Client
-----------
Windows XP + SP2
Mozilla Thunderbird 1.5
Outlook 2003
Outlook Express

MS ADS: single domain, Win 2003 based

After a whole afternoon of mucking around with Kerberos keys, I have managed to
get "imtest" to pass with my user TGT using GSSAPI mech.

Now, my question would be, what is the client side support? What clients can I
use? We have a mix of Outlook 2003 and Thunderbird 1.5, perhaps even Outlook
Express.

I have tried TB, out of the box, no go. SSL and TLS work just fine. mech used
is either PLAIN or CRAM-MD5 (if Secure Password Auth turned on). Is there some
magic to getting TB to use GSSAPI?

I'll test O and OE tomorrow. Any pointers are welcome.

TYIA,
Nix.