Latin1/UTF8 chars?

Sebastian Hagedorn Hagedorn at uni-koeln.de
Tue Mar 14 06:17:34 EST 2006

Hi,

--On 14. März 2006 11:44:21 +0200 Elver Loho <elver.loho at gmail.com> wrote:

> Mail is sent with specific Estonian characters in it (Latin-1 /
> ISO-8859-1 encoded). These chars look like õüäö and ÕÜÄÖ
>
> These chars in the subject line are replaced with X by what I assume
> to be Cyrus. (The mails go through Fetchmail, Postfix, Cyrus and
> Thunderbird and yes, it could be any one of them, but my bet is on
> Cyrus at the moment.)

yes, it is Cyrus. Cyrus *only* does this if the subject line isn't properly
encoded as specified by RFC 2047. It only replaces bare 8-bit characters. A
properly encoded subject using ISO-8859-1 looks like this:

Subject: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Re:_Zu_gro=DF_-_Dual_Layer=3F=3F?=

> What's funny is that subject lines with UTF-8 encoding render just
> fine are not replaced with any X-chars. So I get a lot of lovely
> squigglies with Asian spam.

They render fine because they are properly encoded. So: fix the mail
clients that send broken header lines. I get only few such broken mails
these days.

Cheers, Sebastian Hagedorn
--
     .:.Sebastian Hagedorn - RZKR-R1 (Gebäude 52), Zimmer 18.:.
Zentrum für angewandte Informatik - Universitätsweiter Service RRZK