Backup stored messages

Scott Russell lnxgeek at us.ibm.com
Sat Jun 17 13:42:24 EDT 2006

Karjala wrote:
> Hi
>
> How does one backup e-mail messages stored in Cyrus IMAP's mailboxes?

We use Legato Networker. You can use just about anything though, rsync,
tar, backula, etc all spring to mind. Pick something that works for you.

> Which directories to copy, and do I simply overwrite afterwards or is
> there some procedure I should follow? Can I store the accounts and
> passwords or do I need to create them with cyradm afterwards?

Copy /var/spool/imap and /var/lib/imap. How you back up your accounts
depends on your storage method. It's a good idea to back up /etc/ as well.

Depending on your needs and the software you choose you'll have to
decide if you want to store just a current copy or if you want to store
incremental snapshots as well.

--
Scott Russell <lnxgeek at us.ibm.com>
IBM Linux Technology Center, System Admin