Postfix Routing & Cyrus Virtdomains

Pedro Algarvio ufs at ufsoft.org
Tue Jun 13 14:22:51 EDT 2006

Quoting Sandy Drobic <cyrus-info at japantest.homelinux.com>:

> Pedro Algarvio wrote:
>> With cyrus vitualdomain feature, cyrus accepts mail to be delivered
>>  via lmtp to user at foo. sadly postfix doesnt want to deliver to
>> user at foo in virtual domain mode because he routes mail like
>> user at foo@backend. Can cyrus also accept user%foo ? is there maybe
>> some hack out?
>
> If foo is not a fully qualified domain name then Postfix will qualify
> the address with the value of $myorigin. It is possible to switch off
> that behaviour though it is definitely not recommended since it causes
> a lot of other stuff to break.
>
> The recommended way is either to use usernames without the "@" in the
> username or to use the username and the domainname together. In that
> case you need to configure cyrus with virtdomain support as well.
>
> Sandy
> ----

Well, the usernames without the @ was the old setup we had, we are now
trying to migrate to 'virtdomains: userid' and 'unixhirerarchysep:
yes'. We are also passing the username plus the domain together.

At first we tried username at domain.tld@backend, but postfix does not
like this, and it's also not RFC compliant. So this is where we're
stuck.

We would like to keep using postfix'es
virtual_alias_domains/virtual_alias_maps which is the way the system
is setup right now, which correctly routes the mail *if* virtdomains
is set to off and the user's mailboxes are in the form of
username_domain_tld, and the routing address is
username_domain_tld at backend.

Help on this subject would be very appreciated since we've been
strugling on this subject for quite some time now.

Thanks,
--
Pedro Algarvio
`-------'    `-------'    ufs [AT] sapo [DOT] pt