High availability email server...

Wil Cooley wcooley at nakedape.cc
Mon Jul 31 19:01:12 EDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-07-31 at 15:40 -0700, Andrew Morgan wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Jul 2006, Wil Cooley wrote:
>
> > How big is your journal?  I have instructions for determining the size
> > here, because it's non-obvious:
> >
> > http://nakedape.cc/wiki/PlatformNotes_2fLinuxNotes
> >
> > (BTW, you can drop the 'defaults' from the entry in your fstab;
> > 'defaults' exists to fill the column in the table when nothing else is
> > there.)
>
> Those tools are a little scary, but here is what it reported:

Yeah, but debugfs opens the filesystem read-only w/o '-w'.

> Inode: 8   Type: regular    Mode:  0600   Flags: 0x0   Generation: 0
> User:     0   Group:     0   Size: 33554432
>

> Performance has been okay for me so far.  Do you have any feeling for
> whether it is worth changing the journal size?

Well, 32MB is small for a write-heavy filesystem.  But if you're not
seeing any problems with kjournald stalling while it flushes, then it
might not be worth the trouble of re-creating the journal as a larger
size.  It's unlikely to hurt anything, but I wouldn't make it huge
priority.  Did you also read the LOPSA post from Ted Ts'o that I linked
to in the section above the instructions?

Wil
--
Wil Cooley <wcooley at nakedape.cc>
Naked Ape Consulting, Ltd