Underscore in Hostname

Phil Pennock info-cyrus-spodhuis at spodhuis.org
Thu Jul 27 05:13:00 EDT 2006

On 2006-07-26 at 21:15 +0000, jimbrett099 at comcast.net wrote:
> I know that it's technically not allowed by various RFCs but can
> cyrus handle underscores in a host name and, if so, how?

source, imap/lmtpengine.c, parseaddr()
There are two instances there of checking the syntax of a domain, once
under "/* at-domain-list */" and once under "/* @domain */".

Both look like:
 while (isalnum((int) *p) || *p == '.' || *p == '-') p++;
and for you need to look like:
 while (isalnum((int) *p) || *p == '.' || *p == '-' || *p == '_') p++;

That will get it accepted, but there may be other checks elsewhere in
the code.  I haven't looked, but the above should get you started.

I'm assuming that for such a large and important customer, you are able
and willing to document and maintain local patches.
--
"Everything has three factors: politics, money, and the right way to do it.
 In that order."  -- Gary Donahue