Cyrus 2.3.7 Replication Question

David Carter dpc22 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Jul 13 05:25:33 EDT 2006

On Thu, 13 Jul 2006, Robert Mueller wrote:

> I think that should do it. There might be another option as well to make
> this easier. From the top:
>
> 1. Server A is master (sync_client) replicating to Server B (sync_server)
> 2. Server A dies/is stopped
> 3. Restart Server B after adding this to the imapd.conf
> sync_log: 1
> 4. All IMAP/POP/LMTP connections are directed to Server B
>
> Now Server B should be logging all changes to it's sync log, so you
> don't have to sync_client -u all users. Then to change back, follow from
> step 6-11 above.

It should be possible to leave the "sync_log: 1" enabled on all master and
replica systems. The IMAP/POP/LMTP processes will only start to log events
when a system becomes a master.

My original code allows a mixture of master and replica mailboxes on each
Cyrus backend system (with a Perdition like proxy sitting in front to
direct logins to specific backend servers).

This makes it possible to push inactive accounts back and forth without
any downtime. It doesn't work with shared mailboxes, which is why Cyrus
2.3 only supports simple master-replica pairs.

David Carter                             Email: David.Carter at ucs.cam.ac.uk
University Computing Service,            Phone: (01223) 334502
New Museums Site, Pembroke Street,       Fax:   (01223) 334679
Cambridge UK. CB2 3QH.