help with backscatter

Jorey Bump list at joreybump.com
Tue Dec 12 13:13:45 EST 2006

Chris Harms wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We are having some trouble with our servers sending out backscatter
> spam.  I realize this is really a Sendmail issue, but if any list
> readers have some insights on the best way to make Sendmail stop sending
> bounces to outside domains, it would be greatly appreciated.

Take this to a sendmail newsgroup or mailing list and describe your
configuration. Explain how/why your MTA accepts messages that it will
bounce later. Be sure to mention if it is exposed directly to the
internet, if it is behind another SMTP gateway, or if it acts as an SMTP
gateway. You will be instructed not to accept messages for unknown users
and not to accept messages that you intend to reject later. There are
many helpful and experienced administrators on those lists that will
help you with the configuration details, and you have a better chance of
reaching someone with a similar environment.