Possible sendmail misconfiguration to deliver to cyrus

Todd Lyons tlyons at ivenue.com
Mon Dec 4 11:31:18 EST 2006

On Sun, Dec 03, 2006 at 09:23:47PM -0800, Jo Rhett wrote:

>>Error" because the user doesn't exist.  I have been googling and looking
>>at m4 code and trying to figure out what I can do to make sendmail check
>>the user at SMTP connect time the way it does if I configure sendmail to
>>deliver to a regular mbox mail spool.
>
>Can you create a list of all of your users from some other information?
> If so,
>1. Put a list of all of your domains in /etc/mail/virtual-domains
>2. put each and every user in virtusertable with the same e-mail address
>on the left and right
>	jrhett at netconsonance.com    jrhett at netconsonance.com

I'm not complaining, but wow that looks unintuitive.

>3. Make sure that every domain has a wildcard deny, like
>	@netconsonance.com          error:nouser No such user
>4. add these options to the MC file
>LOCAL_CONFIG
>F{VirtHost}/etc/mail/virtual-domains
>FEATURE(`virtuser_entire_domain')dnl
>define(`_VIRTUSER_STOP_ONE_LEVEL_RECURSION_')dnl

I'll look into it.  I'll have to figure out if this will impact the
other 100 or so domains on this box.

Thanks for the pointer.

On Mon, Dec 04, 2006 at 09:50:13AM +0200, Janne Peltonen wrote:

>> at m4 code and trying to figure out what I can do to make sendmail check
>> the user at SMTP connect time the way it does if I configure sendmail to
>> deliver to a regular mbox mail spool.
>
>Here's what a quick Google found:
> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.mail.imap.cyrus/15641

I was going to reply in the middle of the rt thread above, but in
reading about it I didn't think it fit my problem.  But I also hadn't
found that particular thread.  I can see now that it's intended to
exactly solve the problem I'm having.

As I see it, a more sendmailish solution would be to use a little
sendmail-fu and make it so that sendmail checks for local user at smtp
time, but delivers to cyrus at deliver time.  I don't have such fu, but
I see now as a good enough time to start studying up on it as well as
exploring the above option.
- --
Regards...		Todd
I've visited conferences where the wireless LAN was deemed "secure" by
the organisation because they had outlawed sniffers.    --Neils Bakker
Linux kernel 2.6.17-5mdv   1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.19, 0.35