Beyond rtcyrus2 (sendmail integration)

Jo Rhett jrhett at netconsonance.com
Sun Dec 3 20:33:15 EST 2006

Gary Mills wrote:
> We've had excellent sendmail/cyrus integration for years, with
> 35,000 users.  It's done by having all users in the NIS map on
> the mail server.  No modification to sendmail is necessary because
> getpwnam() returns the passwd entry for the user.  Users can't log
> in to the mail server, of course, because PAM rules prevent that.
> The same thing could be done with other user databases, such as
> LDAP.  Why would you ever need a different form of integration?

We've done the same by putting all user accounts into virtusertable with
the no-recursion option.

That said, it does require something to take user accounts and export
them into virtusertable/nis maps/etc.  So this approach is technically
superior to what you and I are doing.

--
Jo Rhett
Network/Software Engineer