restore email

Sam sam at kanji.com.au
Tue Aug 1 19:10:10 EDT 2006

Andrew Morgan wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Aug 2006, Sam wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I want to restore some email from the email backup directory.
>> I created a directory called "backup" in a user/me directory, and
>> executed reconsturct from cyrus, but after relogin the mail client, I
>> don't see user/me/backup exist from the mail client.
>>
>> I want to copy all the following backup file to the user/me/backup/
>> folder, so that the mail client can browse thru all backup email from
>> that folder without mess up the new emails.
>>
>> Can anyone please tell me how to do that in cyrus?
>
> Here are the steps I use to restore mail for a user:
>
> 1. Locate user's mail directory
> (/var/spool/cyrus/mail/prefix/user/username).
> 2. Change to that directory.
> 3. Make a RESTORE directory (mkdir RESTORE).
> 4. Fix ownership/perms (chown cyrus:mail RESTORE; chmod 700 RESTORE).
> 5. Change to the directory containing the mail folder the user wants
> restored.
> 6. Run 'recover', the Legato backup client.
Hi I am not using Legato backup client. What I have is only a copy of
the user /mail/imap/spool/user/sam directory.
eg.
# ls -l
total 52
drwx------  2 root  wheel    512 Aug  1 17:24 Drafts
drwx------  2 root  wheel    512 Aug  1 17:24 Sent Items
drwx------  2 root  wheel    512 Aug  1 17:24 Trash
-rw-------  1 root  wheel      4 Aug  1 17:24 cyrus.cache
-rw-------  1 root  wheel    179 Aug  1 17:24 cyrus.header
-rw-------  1 root  wheel     76 Aug  1 17:24 cyrus.index
-rw-------  1 root  wheel  39983 Aug  1 17:24 cyrus.squat

Can I just copy the older fodlers/files from the backup server to the
production mail server and execute steps 12 and 13 as you mentioned below?

Thanks
Sam