More robust INDEXing

Forrest Aldrich forrie at forrie.com
Sun Apr 30 16:26:24 EDT 2006

Slightly OT: however, there are a few programs out there that offer a
richer indexing method (a la Google for your email).

I wonder if there's a place for that somewhere in the Cyrus structure.
There's obvious utility in a richer search-and-find method.

I'm probably not alone with my hoard of emails, spanning many years (and
many memories), amounting to thousands (or more!) of individual messages.

I have these all slightly organized in my Cyrus IMAP spool, which I back
up regularly.

I find, however, that basic searches don't always work well, or are too
slow.   Though, I admit I'm not 100% certain on how that process "works"
- for example, I use Thunderbird presently as my email client, and I'm
aware that Cyrus maintains its own *.index files in each directory in
the spool.

It would be wonderful to have a richer indexing method.  That would
likely include some integration into clients (beyond the scope of this
discussion).

Other programs I've run into include Zoë <http://zoe.nu/>, which is
highly specialized (ie: you must use its infrastructure), there are some
on freshmeat.net.

I wonder what others thoughts/experiences are on this area.  Or if there
are some other clever methods of enriching this process that I've
overlooked.

Thanks.