does xfer require murder?

Ken Murchison murch at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Apr 13 17:12:05 EDT 2006

Perry Brown wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> We are running cyrus-imap 2.2.8 and sasl 2.1.15. We have two RHEL 3
> servers with about 4800 users split between them.
>
> I am looking to migrate the users to 2 new RHEL3 hosts with the same
> cyrus-imap and sasl versions. I added the allowusermoves to imapd.conf
> restarted cyrus and tried to do a test move.
>

> host1.domain.com> xfer user/ host2.domain.com
> xfermailbox: Mailbox does not exist
>

> Both cyrus-imap and cyrus-sasl where compiled with --enable-murder
> (least that is what my notes say is there a way to verify?), but it
> looks like murder has not been set up with a master or imapd.conf file
> changes.
>
> Question, Is it possible to xfer a mailbox without configuring murder?

Yes and no.  You don't need mupdate, but the backends need to know how
to authenticate to each other.  Look at install-murder.html and take a
look at the stuff regarding authentication.  Also note that you can't
XFER the entire user/ hierarchy with one command, you have to do it one
user at a time.  Assuming that you're using unixhierachysep, you would do:

xfer user/vbperry host2

--
Kenneth Murchison
Systems Programmer