constant cyrus failures with DBERROR db4

Simon Matter simon.matter at ch.sauter-bc.com
Thu Sep 8 17:02:59 EDT 2005

> On Thu, 8 Sep 2005, Simon Matter wrote:
>>
>> You may want to switch berkeley dbs to skiplist to try how it goes.
>> By default only duplicate_db and tlscache_db are berkeley so you may try
>> this in /etc/imapd.conf:
>> duplicate_db: skiplist
>> tlscache_db: skiplist
>
> Will this change what is used for the /var/lib/imap/db/log.* files?
> Or I am missing something in the dependency of things here?

The /var/lib/imap/db/log.* files are some kind of transaction log files of
Berkeley DB. What happens in your case is that the Berkeley DBs generate
errors for whatever reason. Then you stop the server and recover the dbs.
To fix the db files you also have to replay the logs and then remove those
files. The Berkeley DB docs describe this in detail.
The good news with above configuration is that you get rid of Berkeley DB
at all and thus there are no /var/lib/imap/db/log.* files anymore.
Skiplist works quite different but you shouldn't notice anything, except
that no Berkeley DB errors will show up anymore.

Simon