mv virus infected mail files behind cyrus's back

Dan MacNeil dan at thecsl.org
Thu Oct 13 00:21:44 EDT 2005

dm> Would would it be clean to replace the file with
dm> another message file [...]

hz> Not unless your replacement message file has the exact
hz> same headers, mime segments and boundaries as the
hz> original message. That information is stored in
hz> the Cyrus.cache file.  You could just remove
hz> the original file and then reconstruct the mailbox.

Thanks, your answer kept us from doing something naughty.

Would we be bad people if we replaced the msg with another that had well
formed headers, mime segments, etc and then reconstructed ?

The goal would be to let people know that something had been pulled from
their mailbox.