Question about cyrus quotas - how it behaves

Sun Advocate Webmaster webmaster at sunad.com
Wed May 4 18:19:51 EDT 2005

Just a question for all of you about quotas on cyrus imap.

As far as I see, there is no "grace" quota or warning system. Users not
watching the size of their mailboxes won't know they're near full until
they're actually full. Is this the case?

Lets say a user has a 20 MB quota on their mailbox. Lets say it
currently sits at 19 MB (usage). Then, assume postfix hands over a 1.5
MB email (uncommon, but if there are attachments...). Does Cyrus accept
this message but no further emails, or does it flat-out deny it?

If it does deny this 1.5 MB email, does it accept a 3k email from
postfix that arrives moments later?

I assume once the quota has been exceeded, users won't be able to
receive new email until they delete old ones. Is the quota
restriction/ban "lifted" immediately after the offending user deletes
enough of their emails?

Most of my IMAP users (local subnet) will be using Mozilla Thunderbird.
The remaining users will be mostly POP on Outlook (remote users).

Thanks