Redundant Imap Servers

Edward Rudd eddie at omegaware.com
Wed May 25 18:30:56 EDT 2005

Landy Bible wrote:

> I'm going to be setting up a small email server for my family and
> business.  There will be maybe 10 or 15 mail accounts, and it will
> handle 500 - 1000 emails per day, max.  Although its a small system, I
> need a redundant setup so if one server goes down, another will
> continue its job.  Is Murder suited to this task, or do I need to look
> for something else?

I just finished setting up a similar setup.  I used drbd
<http://www.drbd.org/> and heartbeat over the drbd interface to do a
failover of the primary fails.  I also have a separate front end box
that spools all the incoming mail to the amavisd-new content filter
which sends it to the backend server to be stored into cyrus.

Murder doesn't provide failover, it only splits up the spool across
multiple servers.  I believe that support for a load balance/fail over
type setup is being added into the CVS cyrus.