EMBARRASSING TO THE LIST: Re: *WARNING* Your Email Account Will Be Closed

Joseph Brennan brennan at columbia.edu
Tue May 31 09:59:32 EDT 2005

--On Tuesday, May 31, 2005 11:47 AM +0200 Marco Colombo <marco at esi.it>
wrote:

> Server-side global content-based filtering is silly, unless of course
> it's your (private) server. Users are expected to do their own
> filtering, otherwise they're exposed anyway. Server-side filtering (on
> public servers) is just false sense of security.

I strongly disagree.  Users just want spam to go away.  They do not want
to configure filters.  They're not very good at it either: they usually
just add the sender address to a blacklist, and that does almost nothing
for them.  It's not a security issue.  It's annoyance reduction.

If this list could possibly restrict posting to subscribers that
would go a long way.  That is pretty routine for lists.

At least I haven't been unsubscribed yet because of our mail system
rejecting spam.

Joseph Brennan