sieve rule needed

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Thu Mar 24 21:18:42 EST 2005

Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Mar 2005, Scott Balmos wrote:
>

>>> does anyone have a rule for sieve that will disregard emails coming in
>>> with a subject that just contains garbage?
>>>
>>> I can't even cut-n-paste an example ... :(
>>>
>>> ----
>>> Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services
>>> (http://www.hub.org)
>>> Email: scrappy at hub.org           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ:
>>> 7615664
>>> ---
>>> Cyrus Home Page: http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus
>>> Cyrus Wiki/FAQ: http://cyruswiki.andrew.cmu.edu
>>>

>> if header :contains "Subject" "garbage"
>> {
>> discard;
>> }
>>
>> :D
>>
>> Kind of hard to develop an exact, programmatic definition of what
>> "garbage" is, right?
>

> Sorry, figured that everyone else was probably getting this too, since
> it seems to be 'standard spam' nowadays :(
>
> garbage == those messages whose subjects are all "non-ASCII" characters ...

Just off the top of my head (its been so long since I wrote the regex
draft I'm not sure I remember the syntax):

# the subject consists of nothing but non-printable characters
if header :regex  :comparator "i;octet" "subject" "^[^[:print:]]+$" {
   discard;
}

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127