backup without stopping the imap server?

John Madden jmadden at ivytech.edu
Fri Jun 10 09:36:17 EDT 2005

>  From what I recall (which might be fuzzy - someone please correct me if any of
> this is wrong!) there is no way to do this properly. There's some stuff about
> it on the wiki isn't there? Think I remember seeing something about using LVM
> mirrors to do it best.

There's just got to be a better way.  What's the risk of backing up the
"inconsistent" databases?  Can't they just be recovered after performing the
restore?  And what happens if you just need to restore a single mailbox?  The
berkeley db's can be backed up with the usual bdb methods, so what about the
skiplist db's?  Isn't everything else just text files and the per-mailbox
cache/etc db's that are rebuilt all the time anyway?

John

--
John Madden
UNIX Systems Engineer