server side sorting on date

Jason Fesler jfesler at gigo.com
Wed Jul 20 11:31:23 EDT 2005

> Anyone out there know if Cyrus 2.2.12 has any problems doing server side sort
> by date?  We've noticed when our squirrelmail has the option enabled to do
> server side sorting, that the dates are sometimes out-of-order on emails that
> were migrated from our old system.  The headers of the emails look correct

Cyrus's binary date field is delivery time, not sender's time.
And, migrating, is considered a delivery.

> and when I disabled server side sort and let the client handle it everything
> is sorted properly.  We also have users using thunderbird and mozilla mail
> with no problems, however I am not sure if these clients use the SORT imap
> extension.  Anyone with any ideas?

Client side sorting is based on the "Date:" field I suspect, instead of
the binary indexed data that the server has.

If you think that's annoying.. some mail agents I've used, show
the binary delivery date in the message index (!), but show the right
date when you go into a message and look at the headers.

I've not yet seen a patch to cyrus to make, at delivery time, store the
RFC "Date:" field instead.  I suspect it doesn't exist because it might
get abused by people sending intentionally wrong date data, and the date
sorting would bust to a point.