Misc question about LDAP and admin stuff

Igor Brezac igor at ipass.net
Sat Jul 23 11:37:02 EDT 2005

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005, Per-Olov [iso-8859-1] Sjöholm wrote:

> On Thursday 21 July 2005 16.17, Igor Brezac wrote:
>> On Thu, 21 Jul 2005, Per-Olov [iso-8859-1] Sjöholm wrote:
>>> Hi list
>>>
>>> Does anybody know if there are any work going on to implement the stuff
>>> that the third party cyrusmaster requires to work and extend the LDAP
>>> support in cyrus imapd? If not... Is there any work at all going on to
>>> add good LDAP or MySQL support? I really love cyrus imapd but think it
>>> lacks some stuff when it comes to LDAP or MySQL support.
>>
>> Can you be more specific?
>>

> Your'e right...
>
> I am not just talking  about LDAP auth using any PAM stuff.
> Cyrus imapd in not directly LDAP friendly.

From the authentication/authorizaion stand point it is very friendly.
Perhaps it is not easily configured.

Take a look at ptloader/ldap and cyrus sasl documentation (there are
several different ways to configure ldap based authentication).

> Let's say you want to put quota
> info in LDAP.
> And in huge installations you maybe want to put as much info as
> possible into a central repository using LDAP protocol. And not just quota,

It is fairly trivial to develop an ldap based cyrus db backend.  But in a
'huge' installation I do not believe you can achieve desired performance
and reliability.  ldap just does not do well when you have to write to it
often.

> maybe alternate e-mail adresses and more.

You can do this now.

--
Igor