Cyrus in ISP environment?

Attila Nagy bra at fsn.hu
Wed Feb 16 10:21:09 EST 2005

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
>>http://www.fastmail.fm
> But it is doable, yes.  It just ain't cheap or easy.  4M messages/day means
> almost 50 messages per second.  You will probably need a murder cluster or a
> two-layer perdition cluser and two-layer MTA setup to get this.  And a pool
> of content filter workers, and webmail servers too.
Last time I tried on a so called modern hardware (HP DL380 G4, two Xeon
3.6 GHz, 2 GBs of RAM and a slow RAID card, which can do about 80-90
MBbps) postfix and cyrus could sink about 1200-2000 emails per minute.

All of messages were sent through an amavisd which then fed it into
clamav (clamd).
Amavisd was slow like hell, but cyrus could easily put email down to
disk at a rate of 10-15 MBps.

Take the above numbers with a grain of salt, because the testing was
pretty lame (an email emitter program which fed postfix through
localhost smtp and a frequent mailq, to see if there are messages in the
postfix queue) and all the numbers are from my mind...

--
Attila Nagy                                   e-mail: Attila.Nagy at fsn.hu
Adopt a directory on our free software   phone @work: +361 371 3536