Hardware RAID Level & Performance

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh hmh at debian.org
Thu Feb 17 16:32:45 EST 2005

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005, Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:
> Norman Zhang wrote:
> >Thanks for your explanation. How's this one
> >http://www.supermicro.com/products/accessories/addon/DAC-ZCRINT.cfm
> >
> >It uses Intel 80303 I/O processor boards? I'm planning to build my
> >Cyrus-IMAPD on this HW.

Well, I have something like it, an Intel SRCZCR.  It is also a zero-channel
RAID adapter, and yes, it is a real honest hardware RAID, but it is not
PCI-X.

But it is a *piece* *of* *crap* performance-wise, and that's using U320 SCSI
drives on the host adapter.  So, it will work well if you don't need much
performance.  But otherwise, get something better.  Anything that hasn't got
NVRAM (64MB or more) and an on-card SCSI U160 or U320 controller is not
worth thinking about IMHO (for SATA that translates to on-card NCQ SATA
controllers, I suppose).

You will notice Intel itself stopped with this sillyness and their newer
zero-channel adapters feature 128MB of DDR333 RAM and a IOP-321 processor...

  Henrique Holschuh