Hardware RAID Level & Performance

David R Bosso dbosso at lsit.ucsb.edu
Thu Feb 17 17:41:29 EST 2005

--On Thursday, February 17, 2005 10:56 PM +0100 Jure Pe ar
<pegasus at nerv.eu.org> wrote:

> Because of that (and because I already have FC infrastructure in place)
> I'm mostly interested in standalone disk enclosures doing their own raid
> with cheap sata drives and big caches with batteries.

I just ran across these today:

<http://www.synetic.net/Synetic-Products/SyneRAID-Units/SyneRAID6-16-3U/SyneRAID6-SATA.htm>

No experience with them, but they're the best specs I've seen for SATA
external RAID - decent processor and NCQ support.

We've had good luck with the LSI Megaraid 320-2X and 320-4X SCSI cards.
The older, non "X" cards don't use the newer Intel xscale chips and really
can't keep up for RAID-5 based on the testing I did.

I've seen pretty poor RAID-5 performance from an LSI SATA card, the 150-6.
It uses one of the older Intel i960 based IOP chips.

-David