Basic FAQs and HOWTOs

Wil Cooley wcooley at nakedape.cc
Wed Feb 16 12:58:21 EST 2005

On 2005-02-16, Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> wrote:

> Something in greater depth than Wil's site would be appreciated - he
> doesn't cover what to do if it ain't workin' and at the moment, that
> would seem to be a good topic for a couple of us.

Yeah, I split the SASL stuff out to eventually be a separate HOWTO, but I
haven't actually done anything with it--it's mainly just the sections from
the old HOWTO converted from LinuxDoc to DocBook.

A troubleshooting section is definitely called for, as is a section on
integrating with the various clients.

In terms of your actual problem, though, have you tried adding the 'debug'
flag to the pam_unix configuration?  Assuming you've got something like
this in /etc/pam.d/system-auth:

auth        sufficient    /lib/security/$ISA/pam_unix.so likeauth nullok

Just add the 'debug' at the end and your logs should show more verbose
messages.  (I also like to make a /var/log/debug that I turn on and off
as necessary.)

Since imtest works but IMP doesn't, you might want to run tcpdump to
capture the actual IMAP traffic for the latter and see how it differs
from the imtest IMAP conversation.  I like to capture traffic to a file with
tcpdump and then view it with Ethereal.  Something like:

tcpdump -w imp-imap.tcpdump -s 0 'port imap and host impclient'

You really want the '-s 0' so you capture the whole packet and not just
the header.

Wil
Wil Cooley                                 wcooley at nakedape.cc
* * * * Linux, UNIX, Networking and Security Solutions * * * *