--with-auth only for group memberships?

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at starnetworks.us
Thu Feb 24 02:09:58 EST 2005

I've just reworked my Cyrus IMAP installation, and I'm beginning to get
the impression that --with-auth (which defaults to "unix") is only for
group memberships, and really has no other effect. It certainly doesn't
seem to affect SASL in any way, which is what actually handles
authentication.

Since I have "unix_group_enable: 0" in my imapd.conf file, does that
mean that it no longer matters what I specify for --with-auth? If so,
the documentation could use an update to make that abundantly clear, and
ideally the option could be renamed so people don't think it has
anything to do with actually authenticating users :-)