Compacting mailboxes...

Forrest Aldrich forrie at forrie.com
Thu Feb 24 17:23:32 EST 2005

We recently deployed Cyrus IMAPD on an internal corporate server.

We plan on using it for a larger installation (once I get comfortable
with all the technical quirks ;-))

In any case, an issue was brought up whereby if a user doesn't "Compact"
their mailbox (done via most common MUA's like Thunderbird) the deleted
messages can linger - for however long.

I've personally seen this before.

I'm concerned about disk space consumption of these messages in-limbo.
Is there some mechanism that can force a "compact" of the mailbox to
remove these deleted messages - or is there another method to manage
this scenario?

Thanks!