Moving/Renaming Top Level Mailboxes

Andrew Morgan morgan at orst.edu
Fri Feb 25 15:31:08 EST 2005

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005, Greg Harris wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I am afraid that I am feeling a little confused and lost. Running
> Cyrus-Imapd-2.2.8, Cyrus-Sasl*-2.1.15, MySQL-3.23.58, Postfix-2.1.5 and PERL
> 5.8 on a mostly current RHEL3 clone.
>
> I am logged in as cyrus using cyradm and all folders have cyrus rights.  In
> imapd.conf, allowusermoves: yes.
>
> I can rename mailboxes inside a user:
> 	renm user.test.test user.test.test2
>
> I can rename mailboxes to different users with major issues:
> 	renm user.test.test user.test2.test
> Only problem is, this is listed in a folder called "Other Users" in
> user.test rather than user.test2 when using an IMAP client (Horde/IMP).  lm
> lists the mailbox under user.test2.
>
> I can not rename top level boxes:
> 	renm user.test user.test2
> 	renamemailbox: Operation is not supported on mailbox
>
> If I copy a mailbox and reconstruct:
> 	cp -r /var/spool/imap/user/test /var/spool/imap/user/test2
> 	reconstruct -r user.test2
> I get the "Other Users" folder using IMAP client, and nothing listed in
> cyradm.
>
> I am out of ideas for info searches and trying new things.  The scripts from
> the old O'Reilly book, (Chap 9), also do not work.  Any other information
> that I can give, I will.  I also can not seem to find any way to run cyradm
> in debug or send to a log.

I have not attempted user renames myself (we have a script to copy a
mailbox over IMAP, then delete the old mailbox).  However, if you are
seeing the new mailbox under Other Users, then it sounds like the ACLs
were not updated during the move.  I don't know if they are supposed to be
automatically updated or not, since this could cause unexpected access
changes.

 	Andy