cyrus 22 on Freebsd permission denied

Simon Matter simon.matter at ch.sauter-bc.com
Tue Aug 16 02:12:55 EDT 2005

Please keep discussion on the list.

> Simon Matter wrote:
>
>>>Hello i use freebsd 4.11 stable, have been using BINC IMAP and
>>>cyrus-sasl-2.1.20_1 and cyrus-sasl-saslauthd-2.1.20_1 for imap and
>>>postfix Authentication. BINC IMAP is a great little program but does not
>>>have the support for virtual users that i need or the robustness of
>>>cyrus.
>>>
>>>Recently I been trying to get cyrus-imapd-2.2.12_1 with berkly
>>>db43-4.3.28 on my freebsd box have followed the instructions to the
>>>letter but when tried to run mkimap for the cyrus su it did not work so
>>>just ran it from the regular su account that seemed to work fine.
>>>
>>>I login as cyrus su then run the command cyradm localhost  and then my
>>>password everything seems to work fine on the command line.
>>>However watching the auth.log i see this when i enter cyradm localhost
>>>Aug 15 18:24:14 tokyo imap[89348]: OTP unavailable because can't
>>>read/write key database /etc/opiekeys: Permission denied
>>>

>>I think that's no problem because you don't use OTP anyway.
>>

>>>Then this when i enter a password
>>>Aug 15 18:25:03 tokyo imap[89348]: no user in db
>>>
>>>next i try to create a user like this createmailbox user.smith and get
>>>createmailbox:permission denied all the time please help what am i doing
>>>wrong?
>>>

>>Are you logged in as rmvg? If yes, then I guess it may still be a
>>permission problem on the file level. Is your cyrus group really cyrus?
>>It's mail very often.
>>

> i think i am logged on a su cyrus arent i? see below
>
> localhost.computerking.ca> createmailbox user.test
> createmailbox: Permission denied
> localhost.computerking.ca> whoami
> cyrus

No. whoami tells you that you did call cyradm as user cyrus. It doesn't
tell us that you logged in to cyrus as user cyrus. You have to specify the
user with cyradm --user xxx.
And then, your config shows that your cyrus admin is 'rmvg'. So, did you
login with cyradm as user 'rmvg'?

> I do have a user named cyrus
>
> cyrus:*:60:60:the cyrus mail server:/usr/local/cyrus:/bin/csh
>
> I do not  have a cyrus group so i will try mail my mail group looks like
> this do i need to add cyrus to it too

You already have a group named cyrus. Why then does your ls of /var/imap
show the files belonging to user and group cyrus?