merging two cyrus imap spools into one?

Simon Matter simon.matter at ch.sauter-bc.com
Thu Aug 4 01:55:03 EDT 2005

> Hello,
>
> I've got a couple of servers running standalone Cyrus
> for imap services (linked to sendmail).
>
> Recently due to some enforced downtime, I had to get one
> server to accept mail for another one, and now that the
> original server is back up I want to move the mail that's
> sitting on the repacement back onto the original.
>
> Is there some easy way to do this?  I can't just tar up the
> relevant user directories as (at the very least!) the message
> id's will probably clash.

There are several imapcopy tools around which you can use to copy messages
vi a the IMAP protocol. However one requirement is that both servers are
up and running at the same time.
Another solution could be to copy the playload files with an intelligent
script which takes care of renaming the files as needed. Of course it's
getting more difficult then to maintain metadata like seen state and such.
It also may depend on how much data you have to transfer and how many
users are affected.
This has all been discussed on this list in the past so you should find
some useful information in the archives.

Simon