Imap timeout with 27k messages...

Gerd v. Egidy lists at egidy.de
Mon Aug 8 15:43:57 EDT 2005

Hi,

> I have a situation here where an 'exempt' user has accumulated nearly
> 27k messages and 1.5G of mail in their sent items folder and now any
> attempt to access this folder has imap timeout problems and stuck
> processes.  The cyradm utility is also not able to work with the
> folder... attempts to rename.. or reconstruct it results in a stuck
> process.  This under RHEL3 with reiserfs and cyrus 2.2.3.. I've reviewed
> the changelog and I don't see anything obviously related to this up to
> 2.2.12.

my folder containing the postfix-users mailinglist currently has 47k messages
and I access it on a daily basis without problems.

This is on an old Celeron 800 with 2.4 kernel and reiserfs 3. I did some
benchmarks and found out that only reiserfs and XFS are able to cope with
that many files. ext2/3 and JFS become very very sluggish with > 10k
messages.

Is top showing a high system load during reconstruct?

Are you sure your data is on reiserfs? It's kinda difficult to get reiserfs
with RHEL...

Kind regards,

Gerd