Moving Cyrus-imapd to new server

Simon Matter simon.matter at ch.sauter-bc.com
Fri Apr 15 02:30:41 EDT 2005

> --On vendredi 15 avril 2005 07:35 +0200 Simon Matter
> <simon.matter at ch.sauter-bc.com> wrote:
>

>>> -On jeudi 14 avril 2005 19:19 +0200 Sasa Stupar
>>> <sasa at stupar.homelinux.net>

>>> OK, I have done backup of /Var/lib/imap and /var/spool/imap dir's, then
>>> have copied these dir's to a new server, make sure everything is owned
>>> by
>>> cyrus user and then start cyrus-imapd. The problem is that when
>>> connected
>>> with an imap client I can see the headers of the messages but not the
>>> bodies - they are all blank. I have tried with reconstruct but after I
>>> ran it I loose even the headers from the messages.
>>> What am I doing wrong here?
>>
>> I don't know what is wrong with you setup. What I know is that you have
>> transfer
>>
>> /etc/cyrus.conf
>> /etc/imapd.conf
>> /var/lib/imap
>> /var/spool/imap
>>
>> to the new box and it works. How did you transfer?
>>
>> Simon
>>

> Yes, I did transfer all these files. I use SSH (winscp) to transfer.

Ah, I knew it, that's why I asked. Please let non *x OSes out of the game.
Use either rsync of tar. Something like:

on oldbox:

cd /
tar cpzvf /tmp/cyrus-imapd.tar.gz /etc/cyrus.conf /etc/imapd.conf
/var/lib/imap /var/spool/imap
scp /tmp/cyrus-imapd.tar.gz newbox:/tmp/

on newbox:

cd /
service cyrus-imapd stop
rm -rf /var/lib/imap/* /var/spool/imap/*
tar xzpvf /tmp/cyrus-imapd.tar.gz
service cyrus-imapd start

HTH
Simon