Problem with POP, STLS and Pegasus Mail?

Sebastian Hagedorn Hagedorn at uni-koeln.de
Tue Apr 26 04:34:57 EDT 2005

Hi,

thanks for your reply.

--On 25. April 2005 17:30:30 Uhr -0400 Derrick J Brashear
<shadow at dementia.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Apr 2005, Sebastian Hagedorn wrote:
>
>> [*] Connection established to 134.95.19.46
>> 1.ZAIK server ready <3728502298.1114460064 at cyrus.rrz.uni-koeln.de>
>> << 0006 STLS
>> << 0014 USER xxx
>>
>> Now I have no idea why the error message following STLS is in German. It
>> says  "command not supported". When I try this with telnet, it looks
>> fine:
>
> Well, at least the other matches our source:
>      /* possibly disallow USER */
>      if (!(kflag || popd_starttls_done ||
>            config_getswitch(IMAPOPT_ALLOWPLAINTEXT))) {
>          prot_printf(popd_out,
>                      "-ERR [AUTH] USER command only available under a
> layer\r\n");
>          return;
>      }
>
> Perchance if you tcpdump you see the client lying and not bothering to
> send the STLS at all?

Well, I have meanwhile tried it myself and have found that it definitely
*does* work for me. The user told me that a virus scanner is involved. I'm
guessing that it's a POP proxy server and that *it* doesn't support the
STLS command. The user claims that it doesn't even work without the virus
scanner and that it *did* work with our old UW ipop3d server, but at this
point I'm not sure I believe him ;-)

Cheers, Sebastian
--
Sebastian Hagedorn - RZKR-R1 (Gebäude 52), Zimmer 18
Zentrum für angewandte Informatik - Universitätsweiter Service RRZK