What has to be restarted when the certificate changes?

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Thu Sep 9 18:58:38 EDT 2004

Gary Mills wrote:

> When the SSL certificate is about to expire and has to be replaced,
> is it necessary to restart the Cyrus IMAP server.  There will be new
> private key and server certificate files.  In case it matters, I'm
> running cyrus-imapd-2.1.14 with cyrus-sasl-2.1.18.

Nothing *has* to be restarted.  As each new imapd/pop3d/lmtpd is
executed, it will read imapd.conf for the path of the files.  If the
paths to the files haven't changed (just the contents), then they
*might* be re-read when a running service is reused (for STARTTLS only).

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127