Funding Cyrus High Availability

David Lang david.lang at digitalinsight.com
Fri Sep 17 14:49:59 EDT 2004

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004, Ken Murchison wrote:

> David Lang wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 16 Sep 2004, Ken Murchison wrote:
>>

>>> Question:   Are people looking at this as both redundancy and
>>> performance, or just redundance?
>>

>> for performance we already have murder, what we currently lack is
>> redundancy. once we have redundancy then the next enhancement is going to
>> be to teach murder about it so that it can failover to the backup box(s)
>> as needed, but for now simply having the full data at the backup location
>> would be so far ahead of where we are now that the need to reconfigure
>> murder for a failover is realitivly trivial by comparison.
>

> Actually what I was really asking, is are people looking for an active-active
> config and an active-passive config?

I think that everyone would love to have the active-active option, the
problem I have with this is that the active-passive config will solve many
peoples problems and I believe that is will be far simpler to do so I
don't want the ideal goal of active-active to end up side tracking the
huge progress that would be achieved by active-passive.

active-active also requires significantly different choices if the nodes
are seperated by significant distances. I'd hate to end up with an
active-active solution that works only with the machines all local and
still have no solution to the disaster recovery senerio.

David Lang

  -- C.A.R. Hoare