mails in shared folder mailboxes don't show up

Sascha Wuestemann sascha at killerhippy.de
Tue Oct 12 17:10:40 EDT 2004

Hi,

I have problems listing mails at shared folders. Let me describe the way
how I came to it:

I have set up a debian testing email server with cyrus and the testuser
sascha works fine, cyrus is at version 2.1.16 from the debian package
system.

I am to copy all mailboxes and shared folders from an "Suse Email Server
3", cyrus at version 2.0.16, to it. The old server has user mailboxes at
/var/spool/imap/user/wuestemann for example and shared folders at e. g.
/var/spool/imap/shared_folder. Indeed there are hundreds of each.

I have sasl2passwd' all users and they can be identified by pam_ldap,
too, e.g id wuestemann works (wuestemann is not at /etc/passwd).

I have dumped the old mailbox.db and pumped it into cyrus 2.1.16 using
ctl_mboxlist.

I have rsynced the mailboxes to the new server to for example
/var/spool/cyrus/mail/s/user/sascha and the shared folders to e.g.
/var/spool/cyrus/mail/s/shared_folder.

I have written a script to collect all shared folder names and all user
mailboxes to pipe them to a file like this:

	shared_folder
	user.sascha

stopped all mail depending services, sued to cyrus and run

	"for i in `cat file`; do reconstruct -rf $i; done"

and restarted the stopped services.

Now I can use imap capable clients to test user logins concerning the
emails they should have, and I have noticed, that there is one problem
I have encountered so far.

mailadmin, a pseudo user "running" sieve scripts, which is at all
groups and subscribed to none, can see all folders at the new server
like he does at the old because of being member of all groups and all
folders, shared folder and user mailboxes have this user with admin
ACLs.
But, if descending to subdirectories of shared folders at the new
server, there are no mails listed, the folders seem empty, but they
aren't. This is not the case for mailadmin at his inbox nor at user
mailboxes and their subfolders, mails do show up there, for example at
user/wuestemann.
I can not find errors referring to this at mail nor syslog - everthing
seems normal.

What have I missed? Why isn't mailadmin capable to see mails at shared
folders? What to do to get this done?

cu
Sascha