Around murder : Architecture considerations

LaurentG laurent.l.gauthier at wanadoo.fr
Wed Oct 13 06:51:17 EDT 2004

Hello,

after testing Cyrus Aggregator 2.2.8. I'm about to to deploy it for a
potential 100000 users population.

The architecture I plan is the following :

2 LVS with heartbeat in front
3 frontends with 5Gb of RAM (authenticating against LDAP)
3 backends with 500 Gb each for mailboxes storage and 3 Gb RAM with
Reiserfs for mailboxes partition
1Mupdate

I've few questions around that :
*Replication/backup* :
    What would be your advice for backing up mailboxes? The solution
from Cambrige University
(http://www-uxsup.csx.cam.ac.uk/~dpc22/cyrus/replication.html
<http://www-uxsup.csx.cam.ac.uk/%7Edpc22/cyrus/replication.html> )seems
attractive, but hasn't been implemented (yet?) into Cyrus. Today what do
you use in production?  RAID?  0+1?

*Webmail*
I'm about to use Horde2/IMP3, and will store sessions in MySQL settled
on the mupdate server.
Webmail will probably be installed on each frontend.
Any problem with that?

*Sieve*
Any preconized client for sieve? Websieve? Any other? (until
Horde3.0/Ingo become stable).

What else ... any use of proxying IMAP?

*Any suggestions*, from your experiences, around that, would be welcome.
Could probably  be usefull for others planning to deploy Cyrus IMAP, I
guess.