Cyrus imap directory scheme

Jelmer Jaarsma j.jaarsma at ogd.nl
Tue Oct 19 05:37:18 EDT 2004

Hi all,

I'm in the process of transferring our mail server from an old RedHat
7.2 box to a new machine running Debian Sarge. I'll be upgrading from
Cyrus 2.0.16 to 2.1.16.
One of the first things I noticed was that the directory structure of
the mail store is different. On the RedHat box (Cyrus 2.0.16) the
directories look like this:

/var/spool/imap/<shared mailboxes names>
/var/spool/imap/user/<username>

On Debian however, the directories appear to be as follows:

/var/spool/cyrus/mail/[a-z]/<shared mailbox name>
/var/spool/cyrus/mail/[a-z]/user/<username>

Well, this appeared simple enough, so I wrote a small script to move all
the dirs to the new location. The scripts also converts the old
mailboxes.db to skiplist format and converts all .seen files.
I thought I'd be finished with these actions, and at first everything
appeared to work fine. Closer inspection however showed me that
subfolders of the shared directories didn't show up. After messing
around a bit I found out that the subfolders get sorted in a weird way
(at least, that's my opinion). Take for instance the mailbox "ia" with a
subfolder called "example". The directory it gets stored in is
.../mail/e/ia/example. I was expecting this to show up in
.../mail/i/ia/example.
I'm wondering if this behaviour is by design or if I'm doing something
wrong?
Kind regards,

Jelmer Jaarsma