`DB_VERB_CHKPOINT' (deprecated) error in CyrusIMAP build with new BerkeleyDB4.3.21

pgn pgn_lists at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 14 00:58:23 EST 2004

Hello:

I just upgraded my BerkeleyDB version to v4.3.21.

Now when I build CyrusIMAP 2.2.8 with the new BDB, it errors out after
{make all}.  i see,

  cyrusdb_berkeley.c
  cyrusdb_berkeley.c: In function `init':
  cyrusdb_berkeley.c:147: error: `DB_VERB_CHKPOINT' undeclared (first
use in this function)
  cyrusdb_berkeley.c:147: error: (Each undeclared identifier is
reported only once
  cyrusdb_berkeley.c:147: error: for each function it appears in.)
  cyrusdb_berkeley.c:150: warning: passing arg 2 of pointer to function
from incompatible pointer type
  make[1]: *** [cyrusdb_berkeley.o] Error 1
  make: *** [all] Error 1

Reading the BDB upgrade docs says:

"The 4.3 release removes support for the DB_ENV->set_verbose method
flag DB_VERB_CHKPOINT. Application writers should simply remove any use
of this flag from their applications.

The 4.3 release redirects output configured by the DB_ENV->set_verbose
method from the error output channels (see the DB_ENV->set_errfile and
DB_ENV->set_errcall methods for more information) to the new
DB_ENV->set_msgcall and DB_ENV->set_msgfile message output channels.
This change means the error output channels are now only used for
errors, and not for debugging and performance tuning messages as well
as errors. Application writers using DB_ENV->set_verbose should confirm
that output is handled appropriately.
"

Looking in the Cyrus code the only place you find DB_VERB_CHKPOINT is
lineno 147 of "lib/cyrusdb_berkeley.c"

            if (CONFIG_DB_VERBOSE > 1) {
147        dbenv->set_verbose(dbenv, DB_VERB_CHKPOINT, 1);
            }

Since the docs say just remove any reference to it, is it OK to just
comment lineno 147?  I'm not exactly sure what it does but it isn't
used anywhere else.

=====
thanks,
   -- paul