pop3d proxy

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Thu Mar 11 16:58:06 EST 2004

Michael J Farina wrote:

> I am setting up a cyrus imap murder for a large number of accounts. In my
> stress testing I have noticed that the pop3 proxy has quite a delay. When I
> connect directly to a backend I can check mail at a very fast rate about .5
> secs a mailbox. When I connect to the proxy the wait time increases a ton to
> about 5 secs. I am thinking I must have a configuration problem. I will
> include my imapd.conf and my cyrus.conf I am using cyrus 2.2.3.

Once you authenticate and the mailbox is opened on the backend, the
proxy just acts as a bitpipe between the client and backend, so there
should be very little overhead.

You *might* be seeing a slowdown because the frontend is authenticating
to the backend using DIGEST-MD5 with a security layer or TLS+PLAIN.  In
either case you have encrypt/decrypt overhead.

If using DIGEST-MD5, you could try setting sasl_maximum_layer:0 on the
backend, which will prevent the security layer from being negotiated.

Otherwise, the only other delay that I could think of would be network
related.

> Frontend cyrus.conf
>
> START {
>   mboxlist      cmd="ctl_cyrusdb -r"
> }
>
> # UNIX sockets start with a slash and are put into /var/imap/sockets
> SERVICES {
>   # mupdate database service - must prefork atleast 1
>   mupdate       cmd="/usr/cyrus/bin/mupdate -m" listen=3905 prefork=1
>
>   # add or remove based on preferences
>   imap          cmd="proxyd" listen="imap" prefork=5
>   pop3          cmd="pop3proxyd" listen="pop3" prefork=5 maxchild=-1
>   sieve         cmd="timsieved" listen="sieve" prefork=0
>
>   lmtp          cmd="lmtpproxyd" listen="/var/imap/socket/lmtp" prefork=0
> }
>
> EVENTS {
>   checkpoint    cmd="ctl_cyrusdb -c" period=5
> }
>
> Frontend imapd.conf
>
> configdirectory: /var/imap
> partition-default: /tmp
> admins: cyrus
> sasl_pwcheck_method: saslauthd
> allowplaintext: 1
> mupdate_admin: murder
> mupdate_server: frontend
> mupdate_password: murder pass
> proxy_authname: proxy
> proxy_password: proxy pass
> unixhierarchysep: 1
> sasl_mech_list: PLAIN
>

> Backend cyrus.conf
>
> START {
>   recover       cmd="ctl_cyrusdb -r"
>   mupdatepush   cmd="ctl_mboxlist -m"
> }
>
> # UNIX sockets start with a slash and are put into /var/imap/sockets
> SERVICES {
>   # add or remove based on preferences
>   imap          cmd="imapd" listen="imap" prefork=5
>   pop3          cmd="pop3d" listen="pop3" prefork=0  maxchild=-1
>
>   # at least one LMTP is required for delivery
>   lmtp          cmd="lmtpd" listen="lmtp" prefork=2
>
> }
> EVENTS {
>   # this is required
>   checkpoint    cmd="ctl_cyrusdb -c" period=5
> }
>
> Backend imapd.conf
>
> configdirectory: /var/imap
> partition-default: /var/spool/imap
> admins: cyrus
> mupdate_server: frontend
> mupdate_authname: murder
> mupdate_password: murder pass
>
> allowplaintext: yes
> sasl_pwcheck_method: saslauthd
> sasl_mech_list: PLAIN DIGEST-MD5
> proxyservers: proxy
> unixhierarchysep: 1
> defaultacl: anyone rsd
>

> ---
> Home Page: http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus
> Wiki/FAQ: http://cyruswiki.andrew.cmu.edu

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127
Home Page: http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus