kerberos... stupid question...

Antoine Jacoutot ajacoutot at lphp.org
Tue Jun 1 05:28:14 EDT 2004

Hi :)

Allright, I have the most stupid question of the month, but there's something
I cannot understand.
I'm actually testing cyrus-imapd with kerberos. So far, everything works with
no problem.
I compiled the server using (among other options):
--with-auth=unix
--enable-gssapi
--with-gss_impl=heimdal

... and here is what I don't quite get.
What does it change if I compile the server --with-auth=krb5 ? I don't really
understand this "--with-auth" option since you can configure authentication
in imapd.conf.

My imapd.conf contains this:
sasl_pwcheck_method: saslauthd
sasl_mech_list: GSSAPI

And I start saslauthd with "-a kerberos5".

I'm a little confused about all those kerberos options. All my users are
authenticated using kerberos (it works although --with-auth=unix) , how
should I do things ? So far, as I said, it works, but I hate when I don't
understand everything behind :)