lmtp error 554, NUL characters

Akihiro KAYAMA kayama at personal-media.co.jp
Thu Jun 17 08:48:02 EDT 2004

Hi.

In article <200406161011.08457.MRebentisch at comparat.de>,
Manfred Rebentisch <MRebentisch at comparat.de> writes:

MRebentisch> I often get the following errors (postfix undelivered mails), always
MRebentisch> in conjunction with mailinglists (mysql-internal, apache). Is that a corrupt
MRebentisch> mail or is there a problem in my system? If needed, I can give you more
MRebentisch> information about my system, but first I think it is a generic question.
MRebentisch>
MRebentisch> "comparat.intra" is my intranet-mail-server with cyrus-imap and postfix (SuSE
MRebentisch> 9.0).
MRebentisch>
MRebentisch> Final-Recipient: rfc822; mareb at localhost.comparat.intra
MRebentisch> Action: failed
MRebentisch> Status: 5.0.0
MRebentisch> Diagnostic-Code: X-Postfix; host
MRebentisch>     /var/lib/imap/socket/lmtp[/var/lib/imap/socket/lmtp] said: 554 5.6.0
MRebentisch>     Message contains NUL characters (in reply to end of DATA command)
MRebentisch>
MRebentisch> Thank you in advance
MRebentisch> Manfred

I'm also using postfix+cyrus-imapd-2.1.16, and getting same
errors. But for me they are always caused by SPAM. Maybe it comes from
broken SPAM mailer which fails '\0' handling. I receive neither of
mailing lists so I don't know where the problem is in your case.

Anyway, RFC822 doesn't forbid using NUL characters in mails, but cyrus
imap server rejects them. From the point of view of interoperability,
I want to accept them, if possible. Needless bounces are annoying.

--
kayama