Importing mbox to Cyrus

Allen Unueco aunueco at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 5 01:14:08 EDT 2004

I have just installed Cyrus IMAP for the first time, everything went very
smoothly and I was up and running any major problems.

I'm moving from a mbox based mail system to Cyrus and I'm having some
difficulty moving the old mail.

I've found a few mbox2imap scripts and but none of them work completely. The
one from http://teyandei.net/projects worked the best, but on the two large
mbox files I've tried both exited out with an error during imap.append()
claiming the email had a bad header. I wish I could get some more detailed info
regarding the 'bad header' but thats all I get.

I'm starting the think that the mbox, some which are quite old, may have been
muddied up by email clients over the years.

I've seen headers (Status, X-Status,X-Keywords,X-UID,X-Sender-Ip) in the middle
of emails and other strange things. Mozilla/Thunderbird were totally happy with
these mbox files and I'm not sure how some of these things were introduced.

One of my thoughts was to clean the mbox files. I was working on some scripts
to remove the 'funny' things I've found. And was just wondering if perhaps
someone else has gone through this same process and might know of some good
tools to use.

Has anyone had these problems before?
What is the best way to bring legacy email into Cyrus?
Anyone know of some good mbox repair/cleaning tools?

Thanks,
Allen