Issue's with socketmap (smmapd) under heavy load?

Andrzej Filip anfi at priv.onet.pl
Sun Jul 18 02:31:17 EDT 2004

Lenny wrote:
> I did 2 things to try and see if this was ident related. First, I
> installed an
> identd server on each frontend and backend.
>
> That had a huge affect on my pop login times, by the way, although I'm
> unsure
> why (for the better, that is). Unfortunately, once there were at least 100
> sendmails going mail delivery still took over 30 seconds per message.
>
> The second thing I tried was out of the sendmail.org faq. I added the
> following
> to my .mc file and remade sendmail.cf:
>
>  define(`confTO_IDENT',`0s')dnl
>
> This doesn't seem to have had any affect either. :( All strace's still show
> waiting for the socketmap socket. Is there any further debugging I could do
> besides an strace that might help point me in the right direction?

Have you checked if your sendmail is compiled with TCPWRAPPERS ?
[ RedHat does it ]
confTO_IDENT controls sendmail ident query, liwrap ident queries are unafected
by the setting.

BTW you cyrus may hit limit on number of open files desciptors [open files
(-n) 1024], sendmail keeps one "socket map" session opened per per one active
SMTP session. Try to increase limit of open file descriptors to 2048 and check
if it makes the difference.

Andrzej [en:Andrew] Adam Filip anfi at priv.onet.pl anfi at xl.wp.pl
http://anfi.homeunix.net/   http://anfi.homeunix.net/sendmail/#cyrus