sasl problem (sigh)

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Wed Jul 21 10:07:33 EDT 2004

Ian Hunter wrote:

> I was utterly convinced this was a postfix issue, but now I'm utterly
> convinced this is a saslauthd issue.
>
> Oh, go ahead and flame away if this is not an appropriate forum for
> saslauthd config problems, but after you've torched me, refer me to the
> right place :)
>
> I am running Redhat 9 with cyrus-sasl-2.1.18-5 that I installed from an RPM.
> I can make testsaslauthd work every time, hence my prior belief that this
> was a postfix issue.  My problem is that when the postfix smtpd daemon makes
> to call to the sasl library and and it connects to the saslauthd socket at
> /var/run/saslauthd/mux, and submits correct authentication parameters, it
> gets a "NO" when testsaslauthd from the command line gets an "OK."
>
> As I said, testsaslauthd from the command line is working peachy, and the
> way I know so much about the connections on behalf of the postfix smtpd
> daemon is I ran an strace, and got this stuff:
>
> First, happy stuff:
>
> [root at charlie root]# testsaslauthd -u ihunter -p noyb -f
> /var/run/saslauthd/mux
> 0: OK "Success."

I notice that you're not specifying a servicename (-s) or a realm (-r)
when you run testsaslauthd which means "imap" and "" are being used
respectively.  My guess is that you're using a saslauthd backend which
depends on the service and realm to be correct (PAM, LDAP?).  Make sure
you have your saslauthd backend configured correctly for service "smtp"
and whatever realm Postfix is using.

> Now, unhappy stuff:
>
> Jul 20 14:57:29 charlie logger: connect(15, {sa_family=AF_UNIX,
> path="/var/run/saslauthd/mux"}, 110) = 0
> Jul 20 14:57:29 charlie logger: write(15, "ihunter\0noyb\0", 17)    = 17
> Jul 20 14:57:29 charlie logger: read(15, "\0\3NO ", 1023)               = 5
>
> (if you're checking the lengths of strings, I changed my password to "none
> of your business" above)
>
> Help?
>
> ---

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127