Please help with Simon's Cyrus RPMS (2.2.8), SMP, and really slow performance

Sebastian Hagedorn Hagedorn at uni-koeln.de
Sat Jul 31 05:29:54 EDT 2004

Hi,

-- mgrommet at sigmarep.com is rumored to have mumbled on Samstag, 31. Juli
2004 3:20 Uhr -0400 regarding Please help with Simon's Cyrus RPMS (2.2.8),
SMP,  and really slow performance:

> I have two seperate machines... one very high end, dual CPU machine, raid
> 5, etc, the other is a piece of crud (standard low end workstation).
>
> Both machines are running Redhat Enterprise Server 3...
> the SMP machine is running the redhat 2.4.21-4.ELsmp stock kernel...
> the cheapie machine is running he redhat 2.4.21-4.EL stock kernel...
>
> On the cheap machine, performance is blazingly fast...
> an imtest generates a full test in 2-3 seconds.
>
> On the SMP machine, performance is horrendous...  taking ~27 seconds to
> generate the same test results.
>
> I've actually had the same problem on 2 completely different SMP machines
> running ES 3
>
> It should be noticed that cyrus works 100%, just slowly.  This same
> machine ran 2.0.16 very quickly for 2 years.
>
> I'm really hoping that someone has seen this problem, or can give me some
> ideas what to try, or what to look for.
>
> Are there any known problems with cyrus on SMP machines?  RedHat ES?

all I can think of is that we've had problems with RedHat AS 2.1 on
machines with 8 GB of RAM. It happened quite often that the cache grew too
large and then everything was very slow. A workaround for that was to cause
the memory manager to flush the cache by allocating a lot of memory in a
small program written for that purpose.

More recent kernel versions have improved memory management and I wouldn't
have expected RH ES 3.0 to be affected. What does top tell you? Does the
load get high? How much CPU time do the kernel tasks use up?
--
Sebastian Hagedorn M.A. - RZKR-R1 (Flachbau), Zi. 18, Robert-Koch-Str. 10
Zentrum für angewandte Informatik - Universitätsweiter Service RRZK